Author Topic: People using other people's pics in their profile  (Read 18795 times)

People using other people's pics in their profile
« on: May 31, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »
I came across a profile today where the person had a pic up. Then in the about me section, actually admitted it wasn't them and were just using it to give others an "idea" sort of how they look. Now this pic wasn't one of those fantasy type pics like those in the Gor lifestyle rooms like to use, this was just a pic of a person taking a selfie. This just didn't sit right with me and was curious if this in anyway violates the Buzzen COC / TOS, etc ... Gonna go out on a limb and guess the person didn't obtain permission to use said picture. Thanks.

err0r

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: People using other people's pics in their profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 06:13:43 PM »
90% of the the images people use in their profile they do not have permission to use. However we have no way of proving that and really that shouldn't be something we are expected to have to do. If there is some proof that the person is using an image that the owner of the image does not want them to use they are welcome to contact us. Give us the proof and we will review and take action as needed. We have a report image system that can be utilized.

Ƙαι ~ Ƙнαנιяα

Re: People using other people's pics and info in their profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:15:01 AM »
Hi cowboy/error...

odd you bring this up... a couple of days ago i went to the help desk here and reported what i considered a possible stolen identity...I was  told nothing could be done...even with all the below info given....sigh

so i wrote to the sisterinlaw on facebook as this is where the identity was from......telling her that a chatter had come to my room using this as her profile information and picture..and it felt wrong, something didnt fit, maybe because of the nic .

http://www.buzzen.com/user/Marydon_9784/profile.htm~~ Profile Nic - LadyGitaDog2Love.

and from facebook

https://www.facebook.com/marydon.arthur?fref=nf

I went on to recommend she follow it through...

If wrong, i stand corrected and dutifully apologise but a gut feeling is just that...

err0r

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 04:08:02 PM »
If a staff member told you nothing could be done they gave you false information. Senior staff members can investigate the issue given that information is presented and the owner/person in the image makes the request.

There may not be enough information given for us to make a definite decision. And as I stated previously almost every picture Buzzen users put up aren't pictures of themselves or pictures they own (unless buzzen is full of supermodels). There is no good way for us to police this. All we can do is look into reported images and use the information provided to make the best decision we can.

🍁Pumpkin🎃Smoothie🍁

• Restrictred User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 11:03:25 AM »
Thank you. There are some selfish, jealous, mean-spirited people who pretend to be someone else, so they can turn people against them to isolate and bully their target. I do own the picture of the baby ducks and the written content in my profile and blogs. I knew something was up when chatters accused me of being here and saying things I never said, when I was not using the net on those days. I also saw my profile being updated when I had not made any updates. I appreciate all of your efforts to stop the haters. God bless all your efforts.  --Smoothie

Khajira Kai

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 03:18:02 AM »
An add on if i could. I dont know about other room owners but i am experiencing a lot of newbies to my room, and finding they are in fact chatters that have been banned, all they have done is re enrolled on buzzen with a new email addy and new nic.   Is there anyway that these can be monitored. Perhaps like my bot, who kicks on url identification...or similar.  They are more nuisance value than anything else..  Thanks for listening..

err0r

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 01:30:19 PM »
Sadly this is next to impossible. With the ease of changing your own IP these days there is no way for us to accurately stop this issue. We do have methods in place to combat the issue if we are notified of a user causing problems. However there is no easy fix for this problem. Been this way for as long as chat has been around. MSN faced the same issues.

Ďã_Fïχ_ΪŤ_мäň_™

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 05:56:25 PM »
I came across a profile today where the person had a pic up. Then in the about me section, actually admitted it wasn't them and were just using it to give others an "idea" sort of how they look. Now this pic wasn't one of those fantasy type pics like those in the Gor lifestyle rooms like to use, this was just a pic of a person taking a selfie. This just didn't sit right with me and was curious if this in anyway violates the Buzzen COC / TOS, etc ... Gonna go out on a limb and guess the person didn't obtain permission to use said picture. Thanks.
And most Youtube videos use music and pictures not owned by the poster, and most have a disclaimer "I do not own any of the images or music" etc on them. I think this is accepted practice on the internet, as long as the "owner" does not object.
It's almost like posting a picture of a movie star (or your neighbor in their yard)  on the wall of your cafe. If it's on the internet (for the most part) it's fair game.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 05:35:11 PM »
... as long as the "owner" does not object.

Part of my point being, I really don't think the actual person has any idea their photo is being used in this manner and would very likely object to its use. Fine ... this person doesn't want to risk posting their real pic since they are married and think we are all out to stalk them and ruin their marriage. So either A) Don't put up a pic at all and just describe yourself in the "About Me" section or B) Post a pic of something humorous, like a meme or something or C) Post a pic of something you like or that interests you.

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 05:41:56 AM »
To post an image you don't want copied and used by others in a medium where such is easily and commonly done while expecting them to remain secure is wishful thinking.

Ideally those wanting to copy and use images of others would ask first, but I think we all know that doesn't reflect what actually happens the vast majority of the time.

The only practical way to ensure images of yourself that you don't want copied remain secure is to not post them online at all. The next best thing is to store them in an area with access you control and hope it isn't hacked.

If you post them in an area accessible by anyone you're risking the singularity of your images to the propriety of a faceless horde of strangers. Good luck with that, as you very well may need it.

assbag

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 11:24:02 PM »
"Part of my point being, I really don't think the actual person has any idea their photo is being used in this manner and would very likely object to its use. Fine ... this person doesn't want to risk posting their real pic since they are married and think we are all out to stalk them and ruin their marriage. So either A) Don't put up a pic at all and just describe yourself in the "About Me" section or B) Post a pic of something humorous, like a meme or something or C) Post a pic of something you like or that interests you."

---

Why do you care so much? In what way does it affect your life at all? You seem to have a habit of minding everyones business but your own. People upload pics, they get called fake, they upload a meme, someone cries because its "offensive" upload nothing and you're "afraid to show yourself" ...It's silly. Again, who cares?
Good day.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 05:45:59 PM »
Why do you care so much? In what way does it affect your life at all? You seem to have a habit of minding everyones business but your own. People upload pics, they get called fake, they upload a meme, someone cries because its "offensive" upload nothing and you're "afraid to show yourself" ...It's silly. Again, who cares?
Good day.

Eh ... I just thought I would ask about it ... I am not minding everyone's business. You ask why do I care? ... why do you care that I care? Something tells me you have been watching me way to closely, coming off a bit stalkerish ... who cares? Thanks for being a constructive part of this thread.

JustRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 05:41:20 PM »
This is CHAT!  Very few people are who they say they are..  Moving on.  The world wont end because of a "stolen" pic.  Does it bother me?  Sure.  Click the image, do an image search in Google, and if it's not them, call them on it!  Right in the room. 

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 02:54:45 AM »
Good day.

Eh ... I just thought I would ask about it ... I am not minding everyone's business. You ask why do I care? ... why do you care that I care? Something tells me you have been watching me way to closely, coming off a bit stalkerish ... who cares? Thanks for being a constructive part of this thread.

I do stalk you CBF... it's fun...  ;) :D

err0r

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 09:28:33 PM »
As a developer and a staff member I appreciate people asking questions. There are always things we can do better and questions help make us better. While we may not always do things to the satisfaction of everyone we aren't secretive about why we do things. We are more than happy to answer questions. It may lead to us doing something better.